Donovan Mill Project Progress
March 14, 2020 – December 1, 2020. Volunteers were John Ollson, Mark Perkins, Russ Wright, Jeff Goldsworthy, Lee Brunell, Larry Radford, Bob Chambers, Greg and Lisa Jayne, Don and Elaine Bergstrom. Approximately 4,500 volunteer hours were logged!
The Machine Shop blacksmithing equipment: lathe, drill press, hack saw and trip hammer are now operating via belts driven by the main line shaft. Work was done mainly with the skillful hands of John & Mark.
Hood for forge was donated by the Arizona Mining Museum. Everyone had a hand with stove pipe installation!
Masonry work for the forge foundation was completed by Greg with Lisa.
Service Concentrating Table from the Clack Mill is being restored and is nearing completion. Rich Brook, Silver Springs Mining Equipment, installed EPDM surface and riffles. The photo below is of the table in its original location at the Clack Mill.
Greg and Lisa restored brickwork on mercury retort south of the refinery. Read the article by Lisa on the Comstock Foundation website submitted to the American Spirit, newsletter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).
Restoration of the building structure holding the crusher, ore bin, and grizzly is completed. Many days & many hands: Bob, Russ, Larry, Don and Elaine!
Rotted timbers under the crusher ore bin structure were replaced with new 12 x 12 columns and 6 x 6 cross members. Corrugated metal siding was re-installed.
Greg and Lisa reconstructed and re-pointed rock wall in ‘root cellar’. The rock wall may be an original foundation from the 1860 Kelsey Mill!
The Comstock Foundation • PO Box 61 • 680 American Flat Road • Gold Hill • Nevada • 89440
Copyright 2022 The Comstock Foundation for History and Culture. All rights reserved. • Design: Charter Advertising/Design, Inc.