The Comstock Foundation for History and Culture was formed in 2013 and we received 501c3 status in 2014. The mission is to encourage the preservation and promotion of the historic and cultural resources within the Virginia City National Historic Landmark District.
The Purposes of the Comstock Foundation are:
(a) The acquisition, restoration, and/or preservation and maintenance of historic structures and objects;
(b) The excavation of historic sites directed by archaeologists with permits granted by the state and/or federal government; (c) Community outreach through advocacy and celebrations associated with the history of the Comstock and the Comstock Lode Era;
(d) Collaboration activities within the Comstock Historic District that support preservation of historic resources;
(e) Fund development activities for charitable purposes.
Comstock History is significant locally, to the State of Nevada, Cities such as San Francisco in California, and to the nation. This slice of history impacted the nation and the Comstock Foundation endeavors to Restore the Legacy of a Nation.
Restoring the Upper Yellow Jacket Hoist Works
The Yellow Jacket Mine in Gold Hill, Nevada, is a significant part of the Comstock’s history. Besides known for the Yellow Jacket Fire, one of the greatest disasters in Nevada’s history, the mine has one of the deepest shafts on the Comstock. John Mackay sank the New Yellow Jacket mineshaft in 1876 with a final depth of over 3,000 feet! The Yellow Jacket Mine, named after a yellow jacket nest near the site where it was first located in 1859, was one of the richest mines in the history of the Comstock during its heyday and produced over twenty million dollars.
The Upper Yellow Jacket mineshaft dates back to the late 1930’s. The Comstock Foundation restored the hoist and ore chute as its first restoration project. The structure risked complete demise, but the Foundation saved this significant historic structure. The Foundation had a small window of opportunity to save it before potential collapse. The project began mid 2013 and the Foundation celebrated completion of the project in April 2014. This significant feat was accomplished with less than $125,000 and the structure will endure for many more decades to come. The iconic structure stands directly above the tracks of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad in Gold Hill within the Comstock Historic District and is seen by tens of thousands annually.
The Comstock Foundation | PO Box 61 • 680 American Flat Road • Gold Hill • Nevada • 89440
Copyright 2018 The Comstock Foundation for History and Culture. All rights reserved. | Design: Charter Advertising/Design, Inc.